Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default OT, I guess. What happens with FIOS

George wrote:

As a subscriber you buy a service. If you buy dial tone service I don't
see why it would matter if it were provisioned on copper or fiber. Or in
the case of DSL you are buying broadband data. Why would it matter to
you if it came via DSL on copper or over fiber?

Power outage.

Copper phone lines provide electrical power (driven by central
generators) so you can still use simple phones when the power goes out.

Fiber to the home means you're relying on battery-backup.

I lived on the East coast during the big blackout, had no power for a
few days. Some people were without power for multiple weeks....I'm
guessing their battery backup won't power the phones for that long.

Chris