Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] co_farmer@yahoo.com is offline

Default Quick unlocking of compound base on lathe

On Sep 14, 7:47 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 13, 10:17 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
I see that my lathe has a collar that fits over the base of the
compound. There are two nuts to tighten or loosen the collar, allowing
the compound to turn. Has anyone used a lever like on a mill table to
tighten the collar down?

Hi, louis.
I see no one has replied to your question, yet, so will offer my
opinion.

My Emco lathe has the compound clamped to the cross slide with just
such a ring/collar and two bolts that fit into the "T" slots on the
cross slide. For my lathe, anyway, only real nuts will work, as they
have to be completely removed to remove the compound and locate it to
the second position on the cross slide.
Do you also have an EMCO, or did some other company copy the design?

Best regards,
Paul, KD7HB
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon

http://www.yangzhoumachine.com/lichuang/e-cp-7.htm

Is it a copy of the EMCO? Dunno, but the Chinese seem to be the T2 kind,
where they can copy someone and then kill them, er, produce copies to
gain market share...

My lathe uses the two T slots as well. Unfortunately, the two
clamping nuts are not so big, maybe 1/4" across. They are cunningly
tucked under the compound and the one to the front is a beech to get to
if the compound is anything but fully to the rear of travel.

Did you not get a wrench to fit all the nuts on the machine? A rather
thin double open ended metric wrench came with mine and somewhere I
got another small open end wrench to fit the nuts under the compound.
Yes, it is a tight fit sometimes, but the wrenches both work in all
compound positions.

Your lathe looks kind of like the Emco. Hard to be sure from a single
photo.

Paul