Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Water heaters

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:51:19 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

:On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:17:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
:
: Since I'm faced with the strong prospect of replacing my failing water
: heater I'm curious to learn what others think of the tankless variety
: compared to the contemporary water heater tanks. Single homeowner not
: having to deal with others showering, etc. Might be inclined to use the
: shower while a clothes or dishwasher were operating though.
:
: Although I'm leaning towards gas fired, electric could be considered as
: an option if cost effective.
:
:From what I've read here tankless heaters aren't held in high regards.

I have a tankless, but I didn't have to pay for it. If it were on my
dime I would have installed (personally) another gas powered tank,
probably 40 gallons like the last. I'm also a single homeowner, in a
similar circumstance.

I just don't see the benefit of spending so much more money. Besides, I
don't like the fact that every time I turn on some hot water, the fan
goes on in the unit. I can hear it, and it IS annoying. I find myself
not using the hot water at all when I can get along with using just
cold. Honestly, I don't recommend them. At low flow rates, the
temperature is generally a LOT hotter than it's supposed to be. I have
it set to 110 or 115 when taking a shower, at 100 (the lowest setting)
otherwise (I have the remote control). It comes out 120+ at low flow
rates. I called their support and was told this is normal.

Dan