Posted to alt.home.repair
Seth Goodman Seth Goodman is offline

Default OT, I guess. What happens with FIOS

In article m, on Fri,
14 Sep 2007 04:03:42 -0700, wrote:

If you avoid the ripoff bundled services and keep standard phone line
you will still have copper. I would only get internet and TV over
FIOS,

Step 1 of *any* Verizon FIOS install is to move your phone line(s) from
copper to fiber, even if you're not changing your phone service. I've
read reports that a few people were able to convince the installer to
leave the copper in place, but I don't think that's official Verizon
policy.

Another reason not to go off copper:

If you have FIOS, during a power outage, the battery in your network
interface box is your only backup. Two hours or so in, you'll lose
phone service. The old copper lines are mostly backed up by generators
at the central office. I've never lost phone service during a power
outage.

--
Seth Goodman