Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mcbrien410@aol.com is offline

Default Old fashioned car battery charger technology

On 13 Sep, 23:50, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Hi all,

Just an academic question.

What used to be used in Car Battery charger to convert the AC - DC
before silicon diodes/bridge rectifiers came along?

And did they do full rectification or just half wave?

Half wave is plenty.

I've always wanted to build but never made it yet is a mains motor
driving a decent size, say 80amp, car alternator. After all that's
what is normally used.
In he US where they first had alternators on cars, Selenium stacks
were used. I fitted some Silicon stud diodes to my Triumph 21 (350cc)
back in the mid 60's. The first car alternator I used in the UK, again
mid 60's used the big 30 amp push fit stud diodes made by Motorola. I
have actually manged to push these out on odd occassions using about
half inch rod and a mallet.

Copper Oxide diodes were used for moving coil instrument
rectification.

Chris.