Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sparky sparky is offline

Default oxy-a cutting torch questions!

On Sep 13, 11:06 am, "*" wrote:
wrote in article
.com...

Guys/gals:

I recently bought a heavier-duty (used) torch to replace one that I
gaot in a starter kit. That original one would light just fine, but
then would make a loud pop and go out when you ramped up the O2 to
achieve a neutral flame. The new torch is doing exactly the same
thing! I have a trio of questions:

1) is this "blowback"? Based on my reading, I believe it may be.
2) could this be caused by low pressure on both regulators? My O2
regulator (again - cheap, starter-kit stuff) doesn't want to go much
over "5" - it gets really hard to turn. Thus, I just use 5, and tone
down the acetylene accordingly...around 3...
3) if this is the possible cause, can anything be done to fix this
regulator? I haven't torn it down, and I know better than to oil
it...what else can I do?

Please bear in mind: I am a beginner, and money is something of an
object. I intend to upgrade this gear in the future, but am looking
for at least a short-term solution! Thanks in advance!

If you cannot keep equipment that has the danger potential of oxy-acetylene
in good repair, perhaps you should not own it or attempt to use it!

You fool, That is why he was asking the questions.

A small cutting torch can run in the range of 5 p.s.i acetylene and 25
p.s.i. oxygen. You need to run higher oxygen pressures to provide the
"blow" for cutting.

A small cutting tiorch and its tanks also has the potential of blowing up a
fairly large building if not used correctly!