Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Old fashioned car battery charger technology

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:42:16 UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

What I said. In the late 1950s our mains was DC at 240 volts.
Transformers don't work on DC. So what was used?

This turns out not to be the case.

It took me ages to find a reference but...

http://thefusebox.ce-electricuk.com/...ry.cfm#item_12

Apparently the last DC supplies went off in 1946. I'm surprised it was
that late. Most places were AC long before.

I remember the changeover (in Brighton) and I was born in 1950.

http://www.diybanter.com