Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default oxy-a cutting torch questions!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys/gals:

I recently bought a heavier-duty (used) torch to replace one that I
gaot in a starter kit. That original one would light just fine, but
then would make a loud pop and go out when you ramped up the O2 to
achieve a neutral flame. The new torch is doing exactly the same
thing! I have a trio of questions:

1) is this "blowback"? Based on my reading, I believe it may be.
2) could this be caused by low pressure on both regulators? My O2
regulator (again - cheap, starter-kit stuff) doesn't want to go much
over "5" - it gets really hard to turn. Thus, I just use 5, and tone
down the acetylene accordingly...around 3...
3) if this is the possible cause, can anything be done to fix this
regulator? I haven't torn it down, and I know better than to oil
it...what else can I do?

Please bear in mind: I am a beginner, and money is something of an
object. I intend to upgrade this gear in the future, but am looking
for at least a short-term solution! Thanks in advance!

Using faulty regulators is a good way to start a fire or get yourself hurt.
Have you considered that it might work better if the gauges were working
right?

Get the gauges overhauled. After that, use 3# acetylene and from 10# to 20#
of oxygen depending on thickness. The popping is because you have too much
oxygen coming out, or you are too close to the workpiece. Or your regulator
is ready to blow.

You're playing with dynamite here. Don't mess with broken equipment.

Steve (welding since 1974)