Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Farrell Sam Farrell is offline

Default Old fashioned car battery charger technology

DC in the 1950's surely they stopped using DC back in the 1930's

Sam Farrell
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:59:38 UTC, wrote:

Supplementary:

What used to be used in car battery chargers to convery 240v to 12v
when
the mains was DC?

(my train set used a small rotary converter)

Explain please

What I said. In the late 1950s our mains was DC at 240 volts.
Transformers don't work on DC. So what was used?

I had a Tri-Ang train set. It used 12 volts DC. I had a little
motor/generator combined (240v motor, 12v generator) in a perforated
metal case, about 12 inches by 6 by 6 (perhaps a little smaller).
Excitement when my dad came home with a small red box and said "We'll be
using this instead from next week". That was a transformer/rectifier box
to use when they changed our mains to AC.

http://www.diybanter.com