Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Any lawyers on the list?

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message
I hate to just jump on your misery, but why on earth are you buying art
glass on ebay?!!

No problem, Paul. Susan buys art glass from eBay because it is a source
for an otherwise scarcely available commodity. We almost never travel, so
she has almost no opportunity to see or buy things otherwise. Both of us
recognize the risk, and to quite honest, up until this issue, she's had
relatively good results. Two scary previous experiences that were readily
settled by the sellers, one even demanded returning our shipping fees. Not
all people, we've found, are crooks. Some make a mistake and are willing
to settle immediately.

The slightest chip or scratch can completely trash the value.
You have to be able to personally eyeball that stuff, to come up with a
price.
Even if the seller isn't a scumbag, it would be really easy to get

screwed.

Absolutely true! A fact apparently not lost on the seller in our instance.
A non-disclosure of the repair when asked, then an acknowledgment of it
after we had paid for and received the item, but it magically becomes an
inclusion, which they felt need not be reported, and was carefully avoided
in their description and the photos, tells me they know it, too. Their
business, Myers Fine Arts, in Saint Petersburg, Florida, is a store front,
and up until we gave them their first negative report on eBay, you'd think
they were upfront and honest. Michael Myers and Mary Dowd. Names you
should all keep near if you have any interest in art, art glass, or
collectibles. If they'll screw us, they'll screw anyone. Susan did
nothing to provoke them, all she did was ask condition, then bid on their
wares based on the strength of the false report of condition from Mary.

This has long been one of the areas, that I felt ebay was the worst choice
for shopping.

We're coming to terms with the idea that it might be a great place to visit
and learn, but perhaps not so good for buying. Honest people that sell
their wares on eBay should demand that people such as this are booted off
eBay. In my opinion, only one screw up that is not fairly settled, and
they're gone. They screw it up for the reputable dealers. That's the
price honest dealers will pay, not having people like us willing to bid on
their wares. In some small way I blame eBay for the failure to achieve
proper settlement, too. They were quick to award Susan the $175, but
because the seller lists large volumes, they will quickly recover their
loss, and they are free to continue their practice of non-disclosure.
How nice it would have been if eBay would have taken the position that as
long as they are not satisfying the buyer when a legitimate complaint such
as ours is voiced, they are forbidden to list or sell anything more. It not
only would get them honest, but keep them honest, too. It's all about
money, to hell with ethics.

Thanks for your comments, Paul.

Paul K. Dickman