Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Old fashioned car battery charger technology

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:59:38 UTC, wrote:

Supplementary:

What used to be used in car battery chargers to convery 240v to 12v when
the mains was DC?

(my train set used a small rotary converter)

Explain please

What I said. In the late 1950s our mains was DC at 240 volts.
Transformers don't work on DC. So what was used?

I had a Tri-Ang train set. It used 12 volts DC. I had a little
motor/generator combined (240v motor, 12v generator) in a perforated
metal case, about 12 inches by 6 by 6 (perhaps a little smaller).
Excitement when my dad came home with a small red box and said "We'll be
using this instead from next week". That was a transformer/rectifier box
to use when they changed our mains to AC.

http://www.diybanter.com