Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Snake ID

SteveB wrote:
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
SteveB wrote:
While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About 1" in
diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color, but more of a pinkish
light brown. Pointy long tail. Not aggressive, but didn't want to be
ejected from his bush. We had to pester him for quite a bit before he
made a break. This is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake
this is?

Aggressive or not, my googling shows there are a lot of poisonous snakes
in Utah. Try googling Utah snakes, photos, etc. and you might find yours.

So far, according to my googling, it looks like a glossy snake (actual
species name) and brown snake.
http://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/Sea...?FlNm=arizeleg

I guess if I had to come up with a color, it would be a Starbucks frozen
latte frappucino. Mostly tan, but with a slight tinge of pink, red, and
shiny.

He wasn't being aggressive, and I didn't have my snake gun handy, so all I
wanted to do was move him along. We live at the END of the road, and any
extra mousers are welcome here. We don't let the cats out at night because
the coyotes like them over tacos.

I do have a proclivity for shooting rattlers, as I have had CABGX5 AVR, take
coumadin, and don't want to mess with an episode of snakebite.

We have also flushed out a California king snake. A beautiful creature (for
a snake) with dark and white rings. Heard they go after gophers, but I
still have gophers in my yard. If he doesn't start doing his job, I may
just fire him.

I am presently building an oxygen and propane injection system that will
fill gopher burrows with explosive gas, then hit it with a spark. That is,
if I EVER get done with honeydews, and now a 1,005 sf Mother In Law
quarters, followed by a 1500 sf shop if my money and heart hold out that
long.

We also have free ranging coyotes, lots of scorpions, huge spiders (no
harmless tarantulas seen yet), and various other critters of the night.
Rule one is: if you stay outside the yard, you're okay. If you come inside
the yard or the house, you may not be okay.

Lots of quail, dove, inca dove, hummers, hawks, crows, rabbits, rodents, and
various other local desert wildlife visit occasionally.

I guess it's the price to be paid when you move to the end of the road next
to canyons, sand dunes, starry starry nights, undisturbed landscapes, and
you're the odd man out.

I can deal with it.

Except the spiders.

Steve

I was surprised with the colorful variety of snakes I came up with
googling the area. We have no poisonous snakes here in DE except for an
isolated area with copperheads but I did relocate a garter snake and
black snake this year because my wife is deathly afraid of them. I'm on
coumadin too and little bites and scrapes can be annoying.

Frank