Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Micro Lathe

According to Carl Byrns :

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 11, 7:14 pm, Jordan wrote:
I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?

Taig.

Light construction.

Not as light as the Sherline, at least. I have one which I
sometimes set up for a specific task when the other lathes are busy with
other parts of the same project. An example is with a formed tool to
crown screws held in the WW collet spindle. The Taig is nice there,
with provisions for a simple carriage stop to assure repeatability.

Sheerline.

Sherline. Mostly aluminium. Real lathes are made of iron.

Agreed.

Unimat.

Ungodly expensive.

And a bit weak compared to even the Sherline in my experience.
(Though the price was not that bad back when I got my Unimat SL-1000.)
There are things which I still use the Unimat for as well.

But I consider either the Unimat or the Taig to be additional
lathes, not the primary one. For primary, depending on what I'm making,
it is either the Clausing 12x24 (with a bed turret), or the Emco-Maier
Compact-5/CNC (a Sherline on steroids, but with CNC control.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564