Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Micro Lathe

Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as
for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some
advise.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/M1015/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

leung.h wrote:
Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as
for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some
advise.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/M1015/

I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 11, 7:14 pm, Jordan wrote:
I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?

Taig.
Sheerline.
Unimat.

DOC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
Here's another option in the micro category:
JR
Dweller in the cellar

There is a Yahoo group dedicated to that series at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/C-O_Lathe/.

- Bob Headrick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

leung.h wrote:
Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as
for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some
advise.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/M1015/

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 Sep 2007 22:14:04 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Maxwell
Lol quickly quoth:

"leung.h" writes:

Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as
for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some
advise.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/M1015/

That's a 5x10 and a fairly new product.

The Chinese 7x12 or 7x14 made by Seig is used by a lot of hobbyists.
There are a lot of places to learn more about it.

See http://www.littlemachineshop.com/ for a store that provides
accessories and support.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/ also has lots of info for the 7x10/12/14
mini-lathes and mini-mills.

--
The only place you will be accepted is the place you make for yourself.
-- Holly Lisle, Fire In The Mist, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...

I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?

The Seig sold by Harbor Freight, Cummins Tool, Grizzly, ect. Power feed and
threading, loads of accessories, and tons of support- both parts and moral-
from littlemachineshop.com. I have one and have zero complaints.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 11, 7:14 pm, Jordan wrote:
I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?

Taig.

Light construction.

Sheerline.

Sherline. Mostly aluminium. Real lathes are made of iron.

Unimat.

Ungodly expensive.

-Carl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 11, 1:18 pm, "leung.h" wrote:
Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as
for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some
advise.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/M1015/

One thing to consider is that you aren't just buying the lathe, you're
going to need tooling. Don't know where you're going to find a 4 jaw
chuck, faceplate or collet set for that one, for instance. You can
probably adapt Sherline or Taig stuff to it, but it's always a pain.

Didn't see a price on that page, either.

With the chink 7x lathes, you have support from a number of different
companies, www.littlemachineshop.com has all the parts for them and a
whole raft of accessories. A 7x10 can be had from HF for as littlle
as $220-250 with sale and coupon prices, sign up online for them. Wait
for the sale and use the 50% off coupon. Buy from a store and save
shipping, also you have a ready outlet to take the thing back, if
needed.

These chink lathes are crapshoots, you may get one that plays right
out of the crate, another may need some tweaking, just a head's up.
Pay more from a different vendor, you may get a product with better
Q.C. Lots of sites out there on care and feeding. The design is more
like a larger lathe writ small, the spindle has a #3 Morse taper, for
instance, most of the competition is like a #0 or #1. You want a big
spindle hole and a large spindle, too. You don't need flex in the
spindle.

The 7x is about the largest one currently made that you can sling onto
a shelf after you're done.

There's a chink 8" lathe out there, too, wasn't too impressed with its
looks in the store. Don't know if 7x parts and tooling swap or not.
If not, you'd have the same problems with tooling as the the little
one you dug up. Costs more, too.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 11, 6:14 pm, Jordan wrote:
I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?

I just replaced a Sherline (see other messages) with a Chinese made
lathe. I agree that something like a Sherline is a better way to get
started, but I think I outgrew it.

Actually. I am not completely replacing it- I had the milling machine
adapter post for it, and it will now be dedicated as a milling machine
only.

The only bad thing about the Sherline is the threading accessory (not
included with the basic lathe). That disables the motor and requires
you to "hand crank" the lathe. But the Sherline is extremely well
built and rugged, accurate, and very simple to operate. Use it for a
few years and then upgrade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:
leung.h wrote:
Hi, I am new in metalworkings, I want to buy a small metal lathe as
for hobby. Does anybody use or own this lathe? Please provide some
advise.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/M1015/

I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, I guess I'm the only one who thought this was funny......I thought
this was SPAM and since the OP hasn't returned I am still not convinced
otherwise.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

The only bad thing about the Sherline is the threading accessory (not
included with the basic lathe). That disables the motor and requires
you to "hand crank" the lathe. But the Sherline is extremely well
built and rugged, accurate, and very simple to operate. Use it for a
few years and then upgrade.

If that's the only bad thing you can find,
you're a lot easier to please than me. (:

I've played around with the little lathes
and finally got me a 10x24 with 6" chucks
and collets. I can't imagine using anything
smaller....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Micro Lathe -- Where is Seig?

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
"Jordan" wrote in message
u...

I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's
lathe. Your suggestions for alternatives?

The Seig sold by Harbor Freight, Cummins Tool, Grizzly, ect. Power
feed and threading, loads of accessories, and tons of support- both
parts and moral- from littlemachineshop.com. I have one and have zero
complaints.

For some reason I can't find a single listing on those sites for "seig" or
"sieg". I found what looks like the manufacturer's site, but no retail
source.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Carl Byrns :

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 11, 7:14 pm, Jordan wrote:
I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's lathe.
Your suggestions for alternatives?

Taig.

Light construction.

Not as light as the Sherline, at least. I have one which I
sometimes set up for a specific task when the other lathes are busy with
other parts of the same project. An example is with a formed tool to
crown screws held in the WW collet spindle. The Taig is nice there,
with provisions for a simple carriage stop to assure repeatability.

Sheerline.

Sherline. Mostly aluminium. Real lathes are made of iron.

Agreed.

Unimat.

Ungodly expensive.

And a bit weak compared to even the Sherline in my experience.
(Though the price was not that bad back when I got my Unimat SL-1000.)
There are things which I still use the Unimat for as well.

But I consider either the Unimat or the Taig to be additional
lathes, not the primary one. For primary, depending on what I'm making,
it is either the Clausing 12x24 (with a bed turret), or the Emco-Maier
Compact-5/CNC (a Sherline on steroids, but with CNC control.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
"Carl Byrns" wrote in message
> [...]
"Jordan" wrote in message
u...

I don't think I'd buy it. I think it's made in China.
Randy

Well, that's certainly not enough to put me off, for a beginner's
lathe. Your suggestions for alternatives?

The Seig sold by Harbor Freight, Cummins Tool, Grizzly, ect. Power
feed and threading, loads of accessories, and tons of support- both
parts and moral- from littlemachineshop.com. I have one and have zero
complaints.

For some reason I can't find a single listing on those sites for "seig" or
"sieg". I found what looks like the manufacturer's site, but no retail
source.

It's the "7 X 12" lathe that Harbor Freight, Cummins Tool, Grizzly, ect.
sells. There are minor differences between them so shop carefully- I bought
the Cummins because A) at the time, there was no other nearby retailer and I
wanted to inspect the one I was buying, B) the cost was lower than Harbor
Freight or Grizzly (no shipping charge either) and C) it came with lots of
useful goodies like a steady rest, an OK QC toolpost, live and dead centers,
drill chuck, and a decent 3 jaw chuck. I found out later that the Cummins
variant accepts a four jaw chuck without modification- some don't and
require the mounting flange to be drilled.
I like it- I've cranked out a ton of work on it and never felt that it was
too small or didn't have enough power. I like it so much that I bought the
companion mini-milling machine. For about $1000 I have enough machining
capacity in my basement to keep me off the streets for years.

-Carl
--
The future isn't what it used to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Byrns wrote:

For about $1000 I have enough machining capacity in my
basement to keep me off the streets for years.

That's all we can ask of any machine tool! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message

It's the "7 X 12" lathe that Harbor Freight, Cummins Tool, Grizzly,
ect. sells. There are minor differences between them so shop

Oh, thanks.

I bought the companion mini-milling machine. For about $1000 I have
enough machining capacity in my basement to keep me off the streets
for years.

What about the combo machines? Can't they do some things the separate units
can't (but maybe with less travel)?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:53:43 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

What about the combo machines? Can't they do some things the separate units
can't (but maybe with less travel)?

========
If space and/or cost is an important factor consider a lathe with
a milling attachment. This converts/adapts your lathe to a
horizontal mill.

see
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...2894&category=
140$ for Seig
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...1956&category=
62$ for Tiag.

You will also need an endmill holder or MT collet to fit your
lathe spindle. A drill chuck is not a good idea.

see
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...dID=1139598178
while sets are available you will generally use only the 3/8 and
1/2 and possibly the 1/4. All-thread or a long SHCS w/ washer
will do for the drawbar. Holders are easier to change [set screw
retains end mill] but have much greater overhang (as do the more
expensive ER collet holders). I suggest a #2 or #3 MT collet @
9.00$ each.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message

What about the combo machines? Can't they do some things the separate
units
can't (but maybe with less travel)?

The three-in-ones have less capacity a separate lathe-mill-drill press does.
You have to plan your work out carefully because changing over from one tool
to another is time-consuming. They only make sense if you are very tight on
space (I've seen them on race car trailers).

-Carl
--
The future isn't what it used to be.

Micro lathe Jaime Metalworking 36 September 22nd 05 05:44 PM
WTB Sieg C1 micro lathe. himog Metalworking 5 August 26th 05 08:25 AM
Micro Marl 7X14 lathe delivery Bruce Murray Metalworking 1 April 2nd 05 06:41 PM
Unimat Micro Lathe - Source wanted CCSI Inc Metalworking 9 December 25th 04 10:55 PM
micro lathe link Metalworking 0 March 24th 04 04:30 AM