Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Sanding akward places

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Sep, 15:30, "tim....." wrote:
I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.

Not a hope! Sounds horrible.

Yes it does.

Run it through an electrolysis bath, which you can easily DIY (search
rec.woodworking) and will de-rust it too. It'll shift a lot of paint
(if you wait a week), but if anything is left, pay to have it sand-
blasted commerically. Not usually too expensive, if they're nearby.

I don't need to remove all the old paint. Just the top old
greasy layer so that I can get a key for a repaint.

I'll look into this sand blasting, but I really can't believe
that the overheads are going to make it worthwhile for
the amount that I have.

Especially as I can buy a complete new bench for 29/39.00

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6500456/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006333.Garden%2C%2BDIY%2Band%2Bleisu re%3EC%24cip%3D1500006420.Garden%2Bfurniture.htm

Otherwise there's Nitromors and whirly wire brushes for angle-
grinders.

Can I get a whirly wire bruse for an electric drill?

Sanding's a bit of a no-no though, you'll just not got into
the corners.

agreed

tim