Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sanding akward places

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.
It has lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail
sander, perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I
have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the
new paint will stick too.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:30:40 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.
It has lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail
sander, perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I
have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the
new paint will stick too.

tim

Can you get it sand blasted ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.
It has lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail
sander, perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I
have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the
new paint will stick too.

tim

Can you get it sand blasted ?

Well yes, but how much does this cost?
And is there a nimimum area?

I really have no idea.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Sep, 15:30, "tim....." wrote:
I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.

Not a hope! Sounds horrible.

Run it through an electrolysis bath, which you can easily DIY (search
rec.woodworking) and will de-rust it too. It'll shift a lot of paint
(if you wait a week), but if anything is left, pay to have it sand-
blasted commerically. Not usually too expensive, if they're nearby.

Otherwise there's Nitromors and whirly wire brushes for angle-
grinders. Sanding's a bit of a no-no though, you'll just not got into
the corners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.
It has lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail
sander, perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I
have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the
new paint will stick too.

tim

Can you get it sand blasted ?

How big are the holes, and what shape? Could you use a rotary file?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Sep, 15:30, "tim....." wrote:
I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.

Not a hope! Sounds horrible.

Run it through an electrolysis bath, which you can easily DIY (search
rec.woodworking) and will de-rust it too. It'll shift a lot of paint
(if you wait a week), but if anything is left, pay to have it sand-
blasted commerically. Not usually too expensive, if they're nearby.

Otherwise there's Nitromors and whirly wire brushes for angle-
grinders. Sanding's a bit of a no-no though, you'll just not got into
the corners.

Or get a plasterer's bath and give it a caustic dip. It'll go rusty when
it dries, but a thin layer is pretty easy to brush off. I've done this
with cast iron fireplaces, and finished them with clear wax, but I'm not
sure how well paint would take over that. Cheap and fast compared to the
alternatives.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Sep, 15:30, "tim....." wrote:
I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.

Not a hope! Sounds horrible.

Yes it does.

Run it through an electrolysis bath, which you can easily DIY (search
rec.woodworking) and will de-rust it too. It'll shift a lot of paint
(if you wait a week), but if anything is left, pay to have it sand-
blasted commerically. Not usually too expensive, if they're nearby.

I don't need to remove all the old paint. Just the top old
greasy layer so that I can get a key for a repaint.

I'll look into this sand blasting, but I really can't believe
that the overheads are going to make it worthwhile for
the amount that I have.

Especially as I can buy a complete new bench for 29/39.00

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6500456/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006333.Garden%2C%2BDIY%2Band%2Bleisu re%3EC%24cip%3D1500006420.Garden%2Bfurniture.htm

Otherwise there's Nitromors and whirly wire brushes for angle-
grinders.

Can I get a whirly wire bruse for an electric drill?

Sanding's a bit of a no-no though, you'll just not got into
the corners.

agreed

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.
It has lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail
sander, perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I
have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the
new paint will stick too.

tim

Can you get it sand blasted ?

How big are the holes, and what shape?

They range from about finger sized to fist sized, random
shaped.

Could you use a rotary file?

Possibly, but it's still not going to be an easy job

thanks,

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting. It has
lots of holes that I have to sand the inside of.

Is there an easier way than doing this, by hand or with a detail sander,
perhaps some attachment to an electric drill that I have missed?

Or perhaps, I might be better with paint stripper and a hose?

It doesn't need to create a perfect finish just one that the new paint
will stick too.

tim

Can you get it sand blasted ?

Well yes, but how much does this cost? And is there a nimimum area?

I really have no idea.

tim

==================================
You might be pleasantly surprised with both price and finish.

A few months ago I had about ten car parts(suspension, brake back plates,
etc.) done locally (Wolverhampton) for £10-00 cash. Done while I waited.

There are many small 'backstreet' places that will do this kind of work
without trying to get rich at your expense. Try 'Yellow Pages'.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:54:56 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Sep, 15:30, "tim....." wrote:
[...]

I have one I bought years ago for working on a car so you can
certainly get them .If the sheds don't have them try a car accessories
place or here