Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Sanding akward places

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Sep, 15:30, "tim....." wrote:
I have to sand down an intricate cast iron bench for repainting.

Not a hope! Sounds horrible.

Run it through an electrolysis bath, which you can easily DIY (search
rec.woodworking) and will de-rust it too. It'll shift a lot of paint
(if you wait a week), but if anything is left, pay to have it sand-
blasted commerically. Not usually too expensive, if they're nearby.

Otherwise there's Nitromors and whirly wire brushes for angle-
grinders. Sanding's a bit of a no-no though, you'll just not got into
the corners.

Or get a plasterer's bath and give it a caustic dip. It'll go rusty when
it dries, but a thin layer is pretty easy to brush off. I've done this
with cast iron fireplaces, and finished them with clear wax, but I'm not
sure how well paint would take over that. Cheap and fast compared to the
alternatives.