Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Update on the Containerized shop

Nick Mueller wrote:

Brent wrote:

Nick, I visited a company that does the conversions and they seem to
have done a 2 inch inner wall of unspecified material and then
chipboard as an exterior cover.

Yes, and how about condensation? I mean you will have water inside dripping
(and it will *really* drip) off the walls.

Chipboard being glued wood flakes was
not suitable in a shop where welding and sparks would be present.

Try to inflame it. It really isn't that bad! The thicker the better. OSB is
cheap like hell, can be painted and you can nail/screw to it wherever you
want.
But **please** reconsider the isolation, or you'll regret it. Ask an
architect (he should know the math and physics behind it) about dew-point
and isolation layers.

but
for the most part here they do not use many ISO continers as offices
they use little trailers that are constructed in a similar wat to RV's
and motorhomes

Containers here are *very* common. 3 to 4 stories high. Workers living in
there, constructors on-site office etc.
A friend had is office made out of two containers (selling trees an plants).
They were "tropical isolated". In summer it was hot like in the dessert, in
winter like in the arctics. Well, but then he had no lathe in there
rusting. :-)

Not that I think the container-idea is bad (it ain't at all), and not
wanting to tear you down.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

Insulated yes, but was your friends container conditioned space? A
normally constructed and insulated house will experience the same
humidity issues if it is left closed and unconditioned (no heat / A/C).
An insulated container that is kept at a controlled interior temperature
will not experience this issue any more than a house maintained at a
controlled interior temperature will. The container also does not have a
shower or kitchen pumping humidity into it like a house does. The only
source of moisture in the container will be one human intermittently
working in it, something normal ventilation will readily handle.