Posted to alt.support.asthma,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac,alt.med.allergy
Dubious Dude Dubious Dude is offline

Default Vacuuming HEPA filter

gjensen wrote:
On Sep 9, 8:45 pm, Dubious Dude wrote:
As a gift, I received a circular Honeywell air purifier, model 50100. It has a
"Lifetime HEPA Permanent Filter" which one is suppose to vacuum. I'm trying to
make sense of this logic. When you vacuum the HEPA filter, you're pulling the
fine particles away from the filter and spewing it everywhere via the vacuum
cleaner. I'm sure there's some logic behind it, but it just isn't all that
obvious right now. Insights are appreciated.

it does seem ironic but, theoretically the a good vacuum will suck up
the dirt and dust in the in the filter not just spew it around.

A good vaccuum that would not spew out the small particles that a HEPA filter is
meant for would be vacuum that itself has a HEPA filter. I acknowledge that
there may be cases where it makes sense to clean one HEPA filter by at the
expense of another one (e.g. if the 2nd one was way cheaper), but I think I'd
like to avoid purchasing a HEPA filtered vacuum at this point.

Here are some more ideas about how to clean the air in your home,
http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.co...ement/8071.php

Interesting. The website advises keeping windows open for fresh air. The
Honeywell air purifier requires the opposite. That is, the instructions advise
running it all the time with windows and doors closed. That probably minimizes
the particulate matter in the air, but probably traps and accumulates chemicals
or outgassing from products for which that is a problem. Because of these
instructions, I would say that the HEPA filter air purifier is of greater
utility in the winter, when the windows are closed anyway.