Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Productivity - Norway leads the table.

David Brown wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Work can actually be fun. I am actually looking forward to
Monday when I'll get to fire up the old CAD again. Fun, wow, what a
concept ...

I enjoy my work - but I enjoy spending time with my family too. Here I
have plenty of opportunity for both. But if my job had been making
hamburgers or sweeping the street, I'm not sure I'd be keen on longer
hours than necessary just for the fun of it.

True. One has to put in the sweat of studying hard before becoming an
engineer. But that's similar in most other professions. Without the work
and sometimes hardship to obtain a good education people end up in not
so fun jobs.

We want "to get ahead", own our own business, be "boss".

And some of us ultimately get there.

And some of us don't want to get there - I'm happier working in a small
company than I would be trying to run one myself. It all depends on
what you like doing - I'd rather not have to deal with finances, or
customers, or that sort of nonsense.

Yep, you'll be the marketeer, finance guy, chief engineer, QC guy, grief
counselor and so on all in one person.

Europeans know there's nothing to gain but more taxation.

Same here. The brackets don't exactly motivate. To run a smaller biz
in Europe is tougher though, that continent is more geared towards
larger corporations. BTDT.

My boss (company founder, and owner of many of the shares) has made a
fair amount of money out of his business. But perhaps Europeans (or at
least Norwegians) don't see money as a goal in itself - I'm perfectly
happy with my income exceeding my expenditure. While I'm not likely to
say no to a pay rise (I only did so once), I'd not want to pay for it in
stomach ulcers.

Americans like the prospects of early retirement when they sell their
home and buy a huge bus that now becomes their main residence. A thought
that drives the sheer fright into the eyes of most Europeans.

Then, some have so much fun at work that they keep working. The weirdest
scenario I saw was a guy in final assembly. He was almost 80, said that
they don't really need any more money but that his wife told him he'd
either return to work or she'd hit the highway, never to be seen again.

Why do you think there's a constant trooping of Europeans to America?

Tell me about it ;-)

I can't understand the appeal myself - but I guess there are many sorts
of people around.

With me it's the other way around. I can't understand how someone cannot
feel the appeal ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com