Posted to alt.home.repair
Lisa Ashley Rafter Lisa Ashley Rafter is offline

Default Mounting faucet to porcelain sink-Use putty/caulk/silicone?

On Sep 10, 1:50 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Lisa Ashley Rafter" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Hey all,
I have a question about my bathroom faucet. This is a relatively new
sink/faucet and I had my contractor install it about 2 months ago. He
used some plumber's putty between the bottom of the faucet (which is a
clear rubber) and the top of the sink (which is porcelain). Now I
don't know if plumber's putty is supposed to act as an adhesive or
not, but I noticed that the faucet isn't really *attached* to the sink
at all anymore and now when you turn on the faucet it rocks back and
forth and even lifts up about an inch or so off the sink. The
faucet's pipes obviously are attached to the plumbing under the sink.
Do I just add some more plumber's putty? From what I've read that
stuff isn't really used as an adhesive.
I've been reading up on it a little bit and some people suggested
"mounting" the faucet with silicon.....but I was wondering if/how well
that would adhere the rubber faucet base to the porcelain sink. Or is
caulk the way to go?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

you call them back and tell them to come back and mount the faucet the
correct way. if i were you i'd be talking to the owner of the contractor
company for his worker's incompetence. you don't glue it down with either
putty or silicone. they come with a rubber gasket to provide the seal to the
sink. there should have been a nut or 3 that screws under the faucet to the
underneath of the sink to mount the faucet correctly.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your quick reply. There is in fact a rubber gasket (that's
the clear rubber part I mentined) that contacts the sink. Getting my
contractor to come back really isn't an option (there were a few
things that he left undone that I ended up having to do myself) so I
wanted to fix this myself.
As far as nuts that secure the faucet to the underside of the sink, I
wasn' t left with any spare parts so I guess they didn't exist or he
disposed of them without attaching him.
I didn't notice this thing moving until the plumber's putty wore
off.
Is there anything I can glue the rubber gasket to the sink with?
Lisa