Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plasma TV: Sheet Rock Support Levels

On Sep 10, 8:57 am, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see, Sanus and Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

Chief
say O.K. with their Toggler wall mount kit.

Does anyone have any comments?

I also did some research. Toggler kits from Peerless can be obtained
from Home Depot by buing 1/4 inch toggler fasteners. Go for the No. BB
version. 1/4 inch bolts. They require the same hole size as the 3/16
inch BA.

As for how much weight these guys can support you need to do some
scientific testing. Fortunately Cornell university has done that for
you.

http://www.cornellaging.org/gem/prod...-bar_data.html

They tested wall fasteners in sheet rock. Aparently there is a 250 lbs
dead load architectural standard. This means a constant downward force
of 250lbs. More than enough for most TVs + stands. Cornell compiled
the data for testing bathroom grab bars for the elderly.

Four toggler bolds in sheet rock (no studs), could support 250 lbs and
passed the test. The 4 bolts failed at 360 lbs, the sheet rock broke
down was the failure mode.

So I guess tv monting onto metal studs is porbablly O.K., despite the
warnings from some mount manufacturers.

Best, Mike.

I'd say this is mostly an issue of the weight of the display, how big
the mounting brackets are and what type of fastners are used. With
brackets that spread the load over a larger section and large enough
toggle bolts, I wouldn't hesitate to mount it to drywall.