Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plasma TV: Sheet Rock Support Levels

Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see, Sanus and Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

Chief
say O.K. with their Toggler wall mount kit.

Does anyone have any comments?

I also did some research. Toggler kits from Peerless can be obtained
from Home Depot by buing 1/4 inch toggler fasteners. Go for the No. BB
version. 1/4 inch bolts. They require the same hole size as the 3/16
inch BA.

As for how much weight these guys can support you need to do some
scientific testing. Fortunately Cornell university has done that for
you.

http://www.cornellaging.org/gem/prod...-bar_data.html

They tested wall fasteners in sheet rock. Aparently there is a 250 lbs
dead load architectural standard. This means a constant downward force
of 250lbs. More than enough for most TVs + stands. Cornell compiled
the data for testing bathroom grab bars for the elderly.

Four toggler bolds in sheet rock (no studs), could support 250 lbs and
passed the test. The 4 bolts failed at 360 lbs, the sheet rock broke
down was the failure mode.

So I guess tv monting onto metal studs is porbablly O.K., despite the
warnings from some mount manufacturers.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 8:57 am, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see, Sanus and Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

[...]

I'd say this is mostly an issue of the weight of the display, how big
the mounting brackets are and what type of fastners are used. With
brackets that spread the load over a larger section and large enough
toggle bolts, I wouldn't hesitate to mount it to drywall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:57:48 -0700, hobbes
wrote:

Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see, Sanus and Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

[...]

I would not fasten a heavy $2K TV (nor a bookshelf) using toggle
bolts. You really need better support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 7:57 am, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see,Sanusand Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

[...]

Hey Mike. I have installed countless # of peerless mounts and worked
long and hard with Peerless' tech team regarding metal studs. They
assured me using flat and tilting mounts, 4 toggeler bolts are more
than enough for TV's up to 60". However, when it comes to pull out
swivel or swing arm mount, you will have to span another stud. Looks
like up to 40"- you will be using two studs. 42" + you will be
spanning/mounting to three studs (still using the toggeler bolts). I
have installed Peerless mounts for years and have never had a single
issue on metal studs as long as their guidelines are properly followed
(which are very basic). Hope this helps! -Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 8:57 am, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see, Sanus and Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

[...]

Thank you for your comments. I the end I went for a "Pro" installation
and I am glad I did. They actually did
something very similar as suggested here. Used 6 toggler bolts into
the metal studs. No extra wood
reinforcement. My 50 inch plasma is still up there on the wall.

I am glad I did not do it myself. The thing I would not have been able
to do would be the lift to mount. These
guys who came made me feel a complete wimp. But even they were sort of
straining to put the TV up.
Lifting 85 lbs with two people on ladders is quite a feat. These TV's
are heavy!

best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Sep, 08:57, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering how heavy a weight you can support on Sheet Rock.
In particular I am trying to solve the issue of mounting a TV on a
wall which has
metal studs.

From what I can see, Sanus and Bredford say do nto do it. Peerless and

[...]

I know it's a little late now, but I mounted one of these for my 19"
TV without hitting any studs:

http://www.mountzilla.com/Peerless-L...WALL-MOUNT.htm

The "trick" was that on the other side of the wall is my bedroom
closet. I cut a piece of 3/4 plywood slightly larger than the mounting
plate and ran long bolts through the wall and then through the plywood
inside the closet. This disperses the forces over a larger area. The
TV mount would have to pull the plywood right through the wall in
order to fall down.

Attaching sheet rock MiamiCuse Home Repair 18 August 1st 07 08:20 PM
Repairing sheet-rock Patch Home Repair 6 July 26th 07 03:48 AM
Sheet rock Tc DiVincenzo Home Repair 10 April 21st 06 01:30 AM
Painting Sheet Rock. TURTLE Home Repair 19 April 11th 05 07:42 AM
sheet rock behind stucco Pablo Home Repair 3 April 26th 04 02:16 AM