Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
djenyc djenyc is offline

Default Garden Tractor Demolition / Cutting up steel - How and how fast can I do it?

On Sep 7, 10:30 pm, wrote:
I tried using carbon rod in a welder to melt steel and I though it was
too slow

I use my old Lincoln to BURN off stuff all the time. No wasted time
dragging a torch out, save the gas for where it matters. I crank it up
to the highest setting and use up old damp rods. I find it to be
pretty fast, 12G should be a breeze. Stand the stuff up on edge and
work your way down on a long slant. If you do it right, you dont even
get much slag on the edge, and what you do get you can breeze by with
the rod to knock it off.

Grummy

Grummy, what kind of welder do you have? I was using Chicago Electric
140AC/110DC welder at ~100Amp - didn't go higher because circuit was
tripping - wired between 2 opposite leg 120V/15A outlets. I can see
how with something like Lincoln 225AC it can go much quicker