Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Putting 10 lbs. of Tools In a 5 lb. Shop

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:46:13 -0400, "noreaster"
noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote:

My garage floor is all pitched towards a drain, so I cant get anything
leveled without support block.
In my 10x18 garage I have 2 toolboxes , two 4 drawer boxes, 36x18 shelves, 2
side cabinets, Radial arm saw, table saw, 30x72 workbench, 36x18 metal
cabinet, 17" drill press, 20" scroll saw, 11 drawers (that was for
workbenches) stacked on top of each other and 2 small tool carts, 28'
ladder, and I can still fit my car in. What I did for the bench was made it
pivot between 2 4x4's that go from ceiling to floor (with pegboard in
between the two 4x4's), when in use I prop it up with a 2x3, if I need to
move it, the legs and supports get wing nutted on. I had to figure out what
to do with the radial arm saw or table saw since one of them would get in
the way of the car to park in there, so what I figured out was the table saw
without legs was 13" tall so I thought why not make that pivot to. Yes its a
bit heavy to get propping up and to let it hang when not in use, but its
working out great for me, the stand can get bolted on easily when I need to
move it out. 4x8 sheets are behind the 2 tool boxes and radial arm saw. I
have the garage pretty much well packed, even wood hanging from the ceiling.
You just need a creative thinking cap.

Shrug...my "shop is a partially closed in 14x54 carport with a dirt
floor and a 24" slope from end to end.

With the exception of the HLV-H and the Gorton MasterMill..everything
else is on 2x4s or 4x4s with shims.

Gunner

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well it is about time to do another reorganization of the ole home
shop. ;)

I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more
tools and supplies into your personal homeshop.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.

TMT

You only need working space for the tool that you are working with. Put
as much equipment around the perimeter of the room and put all heavy
machinery on mobile bases.

Assuming you have a smooth flat floor.

Relatively smooth, no make that as long as the dips and small holes are
not more than 1/4" deep. My garage floor is far from flat or smooth.