Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
David Brown[_2_] David Brown[_2_] is offline

Default Productivity - Norway leads the table.

Joerg wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:02:33 +0200, David Brown
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

However, Americans work more hours per year than workers in most
other developed
economies. This is why, measured as value added per hour worked,
Norway has the
highest labour productivity level (US$ 37.99), followed by the
United States
(US$ 35.63) and France (US$ 35.08).

http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_...3976/index.htm

Graham

Americans work more because they aren't lazy, like other countries.

Norwegians are not lazy either - they work hard while they are at
work, generating enough income (for themselves, their employers, and
the state), so that they don't have to work more. Working longer
hours is not a good thing in itself. Europeans generally see work as
a part of their lives, but not the most important part, and thus
prefer shorter hours and longer holidays over greater production and
income.

I think Americans work longer hours because we still have some
entrepreneurial spirit left in us.

Indeed. Work can actually be fun. I am actually looking forward to
Monday when I'll get to fire up the old CAD again. Fun, wow, what a
concept ...

I enjoy my work - but I enjoy spending time with my family too. Here I
have plenty of opportunity for both. But if my job had been making
hamburgers or sweeping the street, I'm not sure I'd be keen on longer
hours than necessary just for the fun of it.

We want "to get ahead", own our own business, be "boss".

And some of us ultimately get there.

And some of us don't want to get there - I'm happier working in a small
company than I would be trying to run one myself. It all depends on
what you like doing - I'd rather not have to deal with finances, or
customers, or that sort of nonsense.

Europeans know there's nothing to gain but more taxation.

Same here. The brackets don't exactly motivate. To run a smaller biz in
Europe is tougher though, that continent is more geared towards larger
corporations. BTDT.

My boss (company founder, and owner of many of the shares) has made a
fair amount of money out of his business. But perhaps Europeans (or at
least Norwegians) don't see money as a goal in itself - I'm perfectly
happy with my income exceeding my expenditure. While I'm not likely to
say no to a pay rise (I only did so once), I'd not want to pay for it in
stomach ulcers.

Why do you think there's a constant trooping of Europeans to America?

Tell me about it ;-)

I can't understand the appeal myself - but I guess there are many sorts
of people around.