Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Doug is offline

Default Need new bottom freezer fridge - which one?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:59:32 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

. A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door). Would like to hear if anyone has experience with any
of
these, or others I may have missed. Looking for somewhere around 21
cu.ft.
capacity.

Our KitchenAid KBRA22 bottom (slide mount) is made by Amana as are the
similar Maytags. Ours has been working fine for 3 years

KitchenAid, Amana, Maytag, Roper and Whirlpool (along with some lessor
known brands) are ALL made by the Whirlpool Corp.

As far as I know, there are only three residential refrigerator
manufacturers left in the USA:

Whirlpool Corp.

General Electric

Frigidaire div of Electrolux (USA made, Swedish owned).

I'm not counting what I consider to be commercial equipment
manufacturers who make a residential version such as Sub-Zero.

Some like LG (Korean) and Haier (Chinese) have some assembly
operations in the USA. There's also a smattering of stuff from Germany
and Italy, mostly smaller units.

Sears Kenmore appliances are made by whoever has supplied Sears with
the best contract. Most of the Kenmore refrigerators are made by
Whirlpool.

More and more often brand names are irrelevent. Most of the major
components such as compressors are made under contract with other
manufacturers.

Doug