Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Tony is offline

Default Need new bottom freezer fridge - which one?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years.

A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not
slide
out - bottom door).

May I ask a question, please?

I don't have a bottom freezer 'frig, but whenever mine dies, and I
hope that's a loooong loooong time from now, I would like to have a
bottom model. My question is what is the difference or benefits of a
hinged bottom door vs. a slide out door?

Also, do you pack your items flat or on their side to see what's in
the freezer? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I've
always wanted to know.

A matter of personal preference, I guess. With a hinged door freezer (at
least on the Amana) you get one horizontal shelf. So you get two "shelf
areas (top/bottom)" to stock your frozen goods. My wife and I like that
because we only have to go to one or the other, depending on what we need.
You also get narrow shelf compartments in the door (like the fridge door),
good for small things. With a pull out drawer it seems like you'd have to be
a lot more careful about how you pile things in, lest you have to unpack the
whole basket to get something that may be on the bottom.

As to side to side versus stacked, I guess most of our stuff is stacked. A
few things are side to side. I guess we use both methods! :-)