Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith Roy Smith is offline

Default Putting 10 lbs. of Tools In a 5 lb. Shop

Leuf wrote:

I gained a lot of space rearranging things in the shop. I used to
have a big metal shelving unit near the workbench. When I needed to
fit another stationary tool in I pulled the workbench out from the
wall and stuck the shelving unit in there. I lost some working space
from the middle of the shop, but gained precious wall space.

When I started making my shop (in my basement, with about a 17' x 27'
footprint, minus annoying things like stairs, furnace, and lolly columns),
one of the first things I did was build a workbench. Nothing fancy, just
something banged together with 2x4's and plywood.

I figured I wanted a big surface, so I made it about 30" deep. This turned
out to be a mistake. Sure, it's nice to have an aircraft-carrier sized
space to work on, but it's so deep I can't comfortably reach the wall
behind it and I lose out on all that storage space. If I were planning it
all again, I'd go for a shallower bench.

I have a relatively low ceiling (about 7 feet). This really annoying
(especially when trying to store 8 foot panels!), but I do take advantage
of the space between the joists for storage. I store my bar clamps up
there, for example.