Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Putting 10 lbs. of Tools In a 5 lb. Shop

Anthony wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote in
oups.com:

Well it is about time to do another reorganization of the ole home
shop. ;)

I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more
tools and supplies into your personal homeshop.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.

TMT

Acro Bins and wall plates. You can get these for cheap from Global
Industrial Supply. The wall plates are simple perforated steel sheets
that the bins hang from. You can make a lot of storage area in a small
space. Anything you can put on the wall is a space saving deal.

Our work shop is a 16' x 26' partition of another area. In it, we have a
12' x 16' caged area that has a milling machine, a 8' Lista cabinet with
overhead cabinets, 2 - 3'w x 8' roll-around stand-up parts cabinets, a
5'w roll around Lista parts cabinet, a stationary Lista mill tooling
cabinet, a 3' bolt/nut/screw cabinet, a laptop roll around cart, and
every free space of wall to a height of 7' has the acro bins and wall
plates with all of the pneumatic fittings and other odds and ends, even
the area between the big Lista bench top and the upper cabinets is full
of mounted acro bins. Outside of the caged area is where we do machine
building, and this area currently has a new full-sized 3 axis CNC VMC we
are automating, a 6 axis robot, a 6' lista work bench, a ladder/work
platform storage area, an automatic parts washer and 5 roll-away tool
boxes. And we still have room to work. Even the caged wall is used for
storage, we attached extrusion to it, and use it to store completed sub-
assemblies, hoses, cables, tools, paperwork racks, aluminum stock, etc.
Keeping the floor clean and uncluttered is a key. Having hose and power
reels mounted high on the wall/ceiling is important for uncluttering.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

I had an old rack for 9 track computer tapes sitting around, so I
made a rolling base for it, then I covered one side with 1/4" hardboard,
and the Harbor Freight version of those bins. That left the other side
open, which was filled with the old metal framed AkroMills 50 drawer
parts cabinets. Small parts on one side, bigger stuff on the other! Not
only can it turn, but it can be rolled almost anywhere in the shop to
keep things close at hand.

It is similar to the open rack shown he
http://www.online-computer.com/

I have made storage cabinets out of old relay racks with locking
doors, as well. I store the expensive tools and test equipment in
them. They are all on heavy casters, and can be moved, if needed.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida