Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Dave Gordon Dave Gordon is offline

Default Putting 10 lbs. of Tools In a 5 lb. Shop

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 8, 9:58 pm, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

oups.com...

Well it is about time to do another reorganization of the ole home
shop. ;)

I am looking for suggestions as to what you have done to fit more
tools and supplies into your personal homeshop.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.

TMT

When making wall cabinets, plain doors waste a lot of space. If you make the doors 3-6" deep, you
can
fit loads of nail and screw (and other small stuff) storage in the doors.
Fit bearing hinges to take the weight, and some kind of ledge to hold the doors square when closed.

- When making wall cabinets, plain doors waste a lot of space.

I know it's just semantics, but that statement doesn't really make
sense, at least to me. While building small-item storage into the
doors is a neat idea, you haven't really saved any space have you?

The front of your 3-6" deep doors are just as thick as your plain
doors, so the 3-6" had to be subtracted from or added to the orignal
depth of the cabinet, right?

Granted, having the small items stored in the door makes them easily
accessible and probably more organized, so I do like the idea.

In my own case I made the cabinet doors 6 inches deep in addition to the cabinet 12 inches deep. The
dimensions came from the sizes of some scrap wood I had. Yeah it sticks out more into the workshop,
but its over a kitchen-style workbench against the wall so it doesn't really consume any usable space
anyway.
The doors were fairly rigid, but still sag under the weight, so I added a couple of ledgers at the
bottom, that support the doors when they are closed.
Ball bearing hinges were the best part of the design though. I would definately recommend them.

..