Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Need new bottom freezer fridge - which one?

On Sep 8, 10:49 am, "Tony" wrote:
We've been using bottom freezer refrigerators for many years. They've always
been Amana, mostly because when we first decided to get this type I couldn't
find any other brand but Amana. I've had three over the years. Left the
first one when we moved, that one was great. The next two Amanas were
problematic. Got rid of the first of these after a couple of years because
it was just a lemon. Couldn't hold temp, veggies would either not be cold
enough or freeze. The last one, which we still have, is several years old
but has started doing the same thing. The repair guy thinks it has a very
slow leak; the last three years it's had to be recharged every year. The
last time was just a month ago, and now it's either freezing the veggies or
not keeping them cold enough, depending on how it's set. There's no happy
medium. Oh, it's already had the temp control replaced. I'm just fed up with
it.

I know Amana is supposed to be known for their bottom freezers, but I'm
pretty sure I don't want another one. A search online shows KitchenAid and
LG now offering the type we like (single top door, single hinged - not slide
out - bottom door). Would like to hear if anyone has experience with any of
these, or others I may have missed. Looking for somewhere around 21 cu.ft.
capacity.

Lots of solid information in Consumer Reports recently. There are some
real overpriced dogs on the market now, so be very cautious. HTH

Joe