Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default wiring problem- lights dont turn on?

In article .com,
" wrote:

We have remodeled our home recently, we have a room where the lights
are not coming on. It is all new wiring. I tested the sockets to see
if there is a live current when light switch is on and no current when
off and that seems to be okay. I thought maybe the bubs were bad but
no the problem either.Do you think some wires are wrong on one of the
canned lights somewhere or what can be causing the lights to not go
on?

Thanks in advance?

If the fixtures are old, the center tab may be collapsed so that it
doesn't make contact with the bottom of the bulb.

More likely, something's simply wired incorrectly. A meter could tell
you that if you knew how to use it. But, there's a significant
difference between current and voltage. Without some fundamental
understanding of that, a multimeter is almost useless at best, worse
than useless at worst.

Here's a fun self-test. Connect your voltmeter to a working light
switch, one probe on each wire or screw. Measure the voltage when the
light it on, and again when it's off. If you can explain your
experimental results, you're qualified to do some basic troubleshooting
of electrical issues around the house.