Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Air Conditioners

Dottie wrote:
On Sep 6, 6:42 pm, "Moe Jones" wrote:
Dottie wrote:
The various companies that sell Trane and Carrier a/cs in my area
are advertising a lot. They are offering rebates. My system is 15
years old for the outside unit and 7 years old for the air handler
in the garage. It is working o.k. now but I am tempted by these
offers. Does anyone here work in this field and can you tell me if
there is much difference in quality between Trane and Carrier.
Will one outlast the other? Trane cost more, at least it did the
last time I checked. Will Trane last longer? What are some
questions I should ask when I start shopping?

First of all make sure they do a heat load on your home.

You would be surprised that when your older system was installed you
may not need or need a bigger system.

A heat load will tell you what size system you need.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

First, the two companies I plan on getting an estimate from are
reputable companies. One did my neighbor's house and did all the
things mentioned ... the other is the one I have dealt with before and
I was satisfied with their service. Consumer Protection (my county)
shows they have good records. I have found that I can forget the
rebates because they are only available on the most expensive
systems. I have to choose between a 1300 SEER (est. $4300) and a 1400
SEER ($5 to $6000) for Trane, haven't checked price for Carrier.
Before getting an estimate I need to know if the energy savings cost
would justify buying the higher SEER and do Trane and Carrier perform
about the same over the long haul? Does one break down more? That
sort of thing. Thanks. (I now have a 3-ton, 15 yr old Goodman which
is still working and a 5 yr old Carrier air handler. My neighbor's
new 3 1/2 ton Trane 1300 SEER cools his house fine and the houses are
about the same size).

When they run the heat load and depending on what software they use, the
software can show you the difference in operating cost of each system and
the correct size you will need. Even though your neighbor has the same size
house you would surprised if someone has allot of house plants, ceiling
fans, water beds and the like ,how that can really add up to heat gain to
your home.

And remember when they run their software you tell them what comfort zone
you want. I mean the temperature you want to live with. 72 degrees or 75
degrees during the summer and what temp you want for the winter.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician