Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto clifto is offline

Default Switch on old stereo receiver

Puddin' Man wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:46:12 -0500, clifto wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote:
Power switch. Button in in - unit is powered. Button in out - unit is unpowered.

Now, if I just push the button to power it, it powers itself, then powers
down. If I push the button in and release it -very- slowly, it'll stay on.

When it goes off, does the button mechanically move out, or does it stay
exactly where it was when it was on?

It feels like it edges out a mm or 2 when the circuit opens and the
unit powers off.

I'm thinking the little mechanical spring-and-groove linkage that makes
the switch stay in one of two positions (i.e. on or off) isn't working.
If that's the case, contact cleaner won't work and your only options are
switch replacement, or having someone wire across the switch to make it
always "on" and using an external switch, or unplugging it, to turn it
on and off.

--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.