Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Switch on old stereo receiver

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Suggestions by others may work but here is one more. Check the local
shoppers paper in your area and see if there is a radio restorer or
electronics repair guy. Some will do a simple job like that at a reasonable
price and he may have a box full of switches he can substitute. If you took
it to a real authorized repair shop they'd want $50 just to look at it, bus
some part time tinkerers will look at it as a challenge to fix, not a means
of making money.

I might as well toss in my 10 cents worth: buy a can of spray contact cleaner,
unplug the receiver, then spray the hell out of that switch with it in all its
positions. Spray it, work it, spray it again. Repeat several times. Let it
dry before you try to use the receiver again. While you're at it you might as
well squirt some in all the pots while you twist them back and forth.

You will probably have to take the cover off to really get the switch clean but
it's worth it to try it without doing that first. What do you have to lose?

One thing I definitely would not do is spray it with WD-40. That stuff gets
gummy after a period of time. Use contact cleaner... easily obtained at any
Radio Shack or Lowes. A big spray can is only a few bucks.

If that doesn't work then take it to a repair place that still works on analog
equipment. But I'd be willing to bet you'll get it to work with the contact
cleaner. Excellent stuff.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com