Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switch on old stereo receiver

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Old Technics stereo receiver, circa 1988.

Power switch. Button in in - unit is powered. Button in out - unit is
unpowered.

Now, if I just push the button to power it, it powers itself, then powers
down. If I push the button in and release it -very- slowly, it'll stay on.

Any feel for what I'd have to go thru to repair or replace the switch?
Unplugging the unit to put it on a workbench is only slightly less
unpleasant than an enema with a firehose. :-)

Thx,
Puddin'

Suggestions by others may work but here is one more. Check the local
shoppers paper in your area and see if there is a radio restorer or
electronics repair guy. Some will do a simple job like that at a reasonable
price and he may have a box full of switches he can substitute. If you took
it to a real authorized repair shop they'd want $50 just to look at it, bus
some part time tinkerers will look at it as a challenge to fix, not a means
of making money.

A few years back I found a guy like that. I had a $500 circuit board from a
machine that needed repair. One place would repair it for $250, saving that
much over a new board. Found a local guy working in his basement and he
repaired it while I waited and hesitated to ask $5. I gave him $10 and we
were both happy.