Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Productivity

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:11:35 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Joerg wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Joerg wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Pasteur comes to mind because of the Pasteur Institute, you might get a
clue. They rival any US medical research institution in productivity and
contributions to the state of the knowledge. France possesses some of
the most brilliant people in the world, and these are French ethnics and
not imports. There is no "used to be" to it.

So, then, why is the cancer mortality rate higher there?

Why is overall US mortality higher than say, Iran ?
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2066rank.html

And the UK's even higher yet?

According to that particular table. The point is that narrowly and selectively choosing
numbers can say whatever you want.

Got any better links, here?

Probably because Iranians live on
healthier food. So far I haven't met an Iranian immigrant who was
overweight at a young age. Those who came with their parents or were
born here, very different story. Same for other countries. Turkey isn't
on the list but folks from there told me of relatives that are around
100 and totally healthy, doing hardcore farming work (!), often despite
a bad habit of smoking. However, they never ate a single Snicker's bar
in their whole life because you couldn't buy them out in the country.

That's probably a very large part of it.

Long story short we've got to give up our cheeseburgers and you guys
have to give up the bangers ;-)

I'd suggest go easy on processed foods generally. You can actually make very healthy
burgers and sausages but not a healthy chicken (Mc)nugget for example.

Yep, we never buy cooked burgers. Not even pre-pressed patties. All made

from scratch and then barbequed by yours truly.

You might also ask what comparative incidence of cancer is. I doubt they're the
same.

Doesn't make much of a difference. You get a certain kind of cancer, you
treat it, then look at the long term survivals. Breast cancer is breast
cancer, no matter which country. Given a large enough number (not always
the case in some medical "studies") you'll have quite a reliable
indicator of how good the system works in a given country.

For example, one of the things I noticed when coming to the US: When
someone got cancer in Europe they had to fight hard to get the doc to
prescribe and the health insurers to pay for a PET scan. Here in the US
they usually send you to the next PET scan site instantly.

And the widespread use of 'scans' (are they all really needed) is one reason your health
care costs so much it seems. Is a PET scan even the most appropriate thing ?

I'd say the posted recovery rates speak volumes. Yes, a PET scan is a
very powerful tool. Currently I wouldn't know any better tools for
localized cancer. Sure, it is expensive. But I'd rather pay somewhat
higher premiums knowing it's there should I ever need it.

A place around the corner from here does MRI scans on pets..

Same here. UC Davis, AFAIK. Dogs, cats, horses etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com