Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default Switch on old stereo receiver

The advice below is good with one caveat...

Most electronics cleaning fluids, and other things that people use for that purpose like WD-40, have flammamble solvents in
them. And unlike things like the volume control, that switch probably carries enough power to make a spark that could ignite
said fluid.

So after you do the cleaning, make really sure the thing's completely dry before plugging it in! Oh and of course *before*
you do the cleaning, *un*plug it.

Eric Law

"franz frippl" wrote in message t...
If you can figure out how to open up case, you may be able to replace
switch provided you can find one which is compatible with space and
opening on chassis. You could always cobble together something which
would work.

Chances are it is only a matter of squirting some cleaning fluid into the
switch and working it a few times to free up years of accumulated gunk.

I would first purchase some electronics cleaner at an auto parts store or
Radio Shack. Open up chassis to access switch. Squirt the cleaner into
switch wherever I could. Work switch a few times with power off, of
course.

Plug in unit and see if it makes a difference.

This also works for scratchy volume controls.