Posted to alt.home.repair
avallk avallk is offline

Default Painting NEW cabinets

On Sep 6, 10:58 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
avallk wrote:
We acquired a set of slightly used display cabinets to use as a
desk. The problem is that where we are using these cabinets, the
wood doesn't match, so we want to paint them. These are KraftMaid
maple cabinets with a clear finish on them. After talking to a few
people about painting them, we decided to give it a try. We tried
two different techniques. 1 - Rub the test door down with Wilbond
and then paint with primer from BenMoore. After drying for over 24
hours, the primer scrapes right off, not a good thing. So we tried
#2 - Sand the surface with 220 grit and prime. Unfortunately, we
got the same results, the primer just scrapes off with a finger
nail.

I'd consider that the norm on a hard surface. Try painting withoout
primer...the surface is already well sealed and paint should stick as
well as/better than primer.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...