Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Scratch repair in BRASS ? SAX?

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
I would like to repair a scratch in Brass saxophone. ? What technique
is good? Can I fill the scratch with solder and cover with gold
lacquer? I have never seen this type of repair done before .. silver
solder?? Is there another tech?

thanks

fraser

Well, from a jeweler's point of view, scratches are never filled with
solder, but sanded smooth, after which the metal is polished.

Heating the instrument will alter the tonality in a way that cannot be
reversed.

You might repair the scratch and destroy the instrument if you solder.

If the sax is half way decent, you're better off having a professional
deal with it.

http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/ser-150.html
http://www.lowkeymusic.com/low_key_m...repair_016.htm
http://www.saxquest.com/repair.asp

and many more.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

How about brush-plating with brass, wet-sanding the scratch flat, and then
polishing?

Would something like the Caswell kits work?
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm They aren't cheap.

--
Ed Huntress