Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scratch repair in BRASS ? SAX?

I would like to repair a scratch in Brass saxophone. ? What technique
is good? Can I fill the scratch with solder and cover with gold
lacquer? I have never seen this type of repair done before .. silver
solder?? Is there another tech?

thanks

fraser

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 5, 11:08 pm, " wrote:
I would like to repair a scratch in Brass saxophone. ? What technique
is good? Can I fill the scratch with solder and cover with gold
lacquer? I have never seen this type of repair done before .. silver
solder?? Is there another tech?

thanks

fraser

is it just a scratch?

or is it a dent?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is the real problem... the finish. A scratch of the garden variety is
pretty easy to fix, it is buffed out. If it is really bad it is first
sanded or filed out and then the buff is used. But once you have the
scratch out you have an area on the sax that is bare brass. It can be
buffed up to a high shine and resprayed but there are very few times it
matches the rest of the finish perfectly. Saxes very often have a gold dye
mixed in with the spray and that is really hard to match.

Best bet? Leave it alone until the whole instrument needs an overhaul, then
everything matches.

The dremmel tool with a buff takes a long time but it can come in handy.

LLBrown

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to repair a scratch in Brass saxophone. ? What technique
is good? Can I fill the scratch with solder and cover with gold
lacquer? I have never seen this type of repair done before .. silver
solder?? Is there another tech?

thanks

fraser

dull scratch on wood floor - how to repair [email protected] Woodworking 2 October 23rd 06 04:53 AM
Motherboard from scratch Erica A Ramsey Electronics 5 February 24th 06 03:21 PM
Repair scratch in prefinished wood floor Stupid48 Home Repair 9 January 27th 06 07:28 PM
Scratch Depth ? Dave Metalworking 4 October 30th 05 08:58 PM
CRT scratch Lenny Electronics Repair 8 September 2nd 04 05:36 PM