Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bond UHMW to SS

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:59:02 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

I need to bond a small stip of UHMW plastic to 304 stainless steel.
How?

Rivets!

There is another way (actually a couple).

A simple method is with a resiliant adhesive of the "pressure sensitive"
variety -- rubbery acrylamide glue or double-stick foam tape come to
mind. If there isn't much force in shear, foam tape works really well.

A "direct" bond can be made by surface etching the plastic. You can do
it yourself with a nasty chemical brew (I can post a copy if you wish),
or you can purchase polyethylene and teflon with a "treated surface" for
bonding. McMaster and MSC sell treated teflon... I haven't bought any
UHMW PE from them in that type, so I don't know what they have.

LLoyd