Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Air Conditioners

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...
The various companies that sell Trane and Carrier a/cs in my area are
advertising a lot. They are offering rebates. My system is 15 years
old for the outside unit and 7 years old for the air handler in the
garage. It is working o.k. now but I am tempted by these offers.
Does anyone here work in this field and can you tell me if there is
much difference in quality between Trane and Carrier. Will one
outlast the other? Trane cost more, at least it did the last time I
checked. Will Trane last longer? What are some questions I should
ask when I start shopping?

Are they going to do a load calculation to correctly size your new unit?
Are they going to make sure your ducting is adequate for proper operation?
Are they going to pull the required permits (if required in your area) to
install your new unit?
Are they going to have it inspected?
Do they stock parts and offer emergency service?
Do they have a preventative maintenance program?
Do they offer a 10 year parts and labor warranty?

Which one will last longer?
The one that's properly sized, installed and set-up to operate with-in the
manufacture's specifications.

In the end, find the best company you can find and have them install the
brand they offer.
Shopping by brand will normally get you a system that will provide you with
years of trouble and headaches.

And you can take that to the bank! :-)