Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default IR Remote Control Extenders

flipper wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:02:50 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

flipper wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:47:37 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Joel Kolstad wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
y.net...

Clever it is indeed. The usefulness depends on how long that rechargeable
holds enough charge. If it's the usual three months or so I'd give it a
thumbs down.

If they were *really* clever they'd just suck power from the other batteries
in series to give themselves 1.5V. (Essentially a 1.5-4.5V boost coverter.)

Although obviously that doesn't work for Michael's one-cell remotes.

Are N-type cells the same diameter as AA's? Then you could just go back to
using primary cells.

No idea. However, the main challenge is that any batteries for such
mundane tools must be available at the local grocery. It's pathetic but
nowadays people consider it a major inconvenience when the remote quits
and, gasp, they have to get off the couch to switch the channel.

Yeah. Next thing ya know they'll be wanting electric starters and
windows on their cars instead of hand cranks.

My first car had a hand crank. Worked fine :-)

So did mine.

My second car didn't even have a window crank, though. Side windows
fit in a rubber (gasket) 'slot' on the bottom with the top held by
spring clips. Lotus Europa S1.

Mine had a little cantilever spring thingie. Press it and the lower half
pane could be pushed out and up. Citroen 2CV. It actually did have a
rope actuated starter but the 6V batteries had become so expensive that
it wasn't in a student's budget. So I used the crank. A stack of D-cells
provided the initial juice for the ignition coil.

It's windows were semi-automatic though: Curve to the left, right window
opens a bit. Curve to the right, left window opens. But they never fell
off while driving (the trunk lid did once ...).

Good grief, and I thought the Europa was bad for parts falling off,
but they never fell completely off. It's favorite was to drop one end
of the shift lever cross link so you had only 3'rd and 4'th gear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com