Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default When the student is ready the teacher appears

Hi tww, Good question and some good answers.

My woodturning life (and we all need a life outside of it) was
resurrected and/or changed for the better by several circumstances along
the way. They not only changed the way I turn, but also why I turn. I
hope this is on topic since they may not have been "a leap forward", but
each kindled a rebirth in my hobby not only in better turnings, but also
in the pleasure of turning them.

Running across Frank Pain's little book in a second hand bookstore, "The
Practical Wood Turner", revived a previous interest long lost in work,
small apartment living and family responsibilities. The advent of
affordable lathes designed for bowls and spindles (for me, Nova) and
minis that weren't toys (for me Carbatec) made me realize that there was
more to it than candle sticks and chair stretchers. The availability of
tools designed for woodturning applications (Roy child's superflute,
Nova chucks, etc.) widened my hobby considerably.

What I call "Social Turning" began when a few books besides Holtzapffel
(Childs, Nish) appeared and we had occasional area get-togethers to lie,
drink beer and talk of woodturning. A little later on AAW, magazines,
meetings, symposia and particularly RCW, which for me at least, was the
grandaddy of the net groups taught me a lot technically, but more
importantly revived, enlivened and maintained a previously isolated
hobby.

Whether or not I've answered it, thanks for raising the question tww,

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter