Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default T&P relief valve - nowhere to drain?

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:e3b7a$46de1933$9440c41e$14444
@STARBAND.NET:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Freezing temps and seeing a drip really don't matter

Yeah, so run them damn things outside in freezing weather... Idiot!

Obviously you have no conception of the purpose of a temperature and
pressure relief valve.

You obviously don't know anything about them or the codes that
pertain to them.

Sigh:

"IRC P2803.6.1 Requirements of discharge pipe. The outlet of a pressure
relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof, shall

not
be
directly connected to the drainage system. The discharge from the

relief
valve shall be piped full size separately to the floor, to the outside

of
the building or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the

building."

Here's why:

"People don't like to test their T&Ps. But then, we don't think it's so

much
fun to wake up in the hospital, or to patch a big hole in the roof,

either.
When water heaters explode, it's catastrophic. People are injured or

die;
buildings are severely damaged. Test your T&Ps! And one more thing: T&P
drain lines should go down and out. Never up. If the valve opens, water

will
pool there and corrode it shut. Or freeze in the line in colder climes.
We've seen lines plumbed uphill so many times we've lost count. But

there
SHOULD be a drain line, usually to within about six inches of the

floor,
or
plumbed outside. That's code around here [California]. It's to prevent

you
from being scalded if the valve should open while you're standing next

it."

It is the White Man's Burden to enlighten the benighted. I'm glad I was

able
to assist you.

No assistance needed, I already knew that.

No you didn't.

I posted about it (first), Duh!