Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default T&P relief valve - nowhere to drain?

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:03:30 +0000, Clark wrote:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:2f5cc$46dce122$9440c41e$10717
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:21:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully someone can offer some guidance on a problem I have

with
my water heater.

It would seem that the boneheads that built my house 7 years ago
failed to put the hot water heater in a location where the T&P
relief valve can safely dump water to a drain.

About 98% of them are installed that way..

The one in my house has a copper tube going up along the vent (for

gas
fumes) and draining on the roof, near the chimney.

Which is against code, if you live in an area where the outdoor

temps
fall below freezing.
But, it's still not smart, unless there's a way for you to know

whether
it's dripping or not.

Freezing temps and seeing a drip really don't matter

Yeah, so run them damn things outside in freezing weather... Idiot!

My point stands whether you like it or not. Corrosion and valve failure

are
concerns whether or not there is a potential for freezing weather.

Remember
context.

Kjblow is so eager to fabricate faults and inaccuracies he often takes
the dialog out of context.

Looking for a treat tonight?