Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tdup2 tdup2 is offline

Default Tool Sharpening

I belong to a woodworking club and we have had lathe classes in the past
along with sharping. Some guys take great pains and time in sharping their
tools. I learned from a excellent woodturner that the 1" belt is the fastest
sharping tool. This guy sharpens his tool in under 10 seconds. I mean it is
sharp, he made me a real believer even though I have and use the Wolverine
system which I think does a very good job. For fastness you can't beat the
belt sander.

Tim
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Neillarson wrote:
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

I use a 1 inch belt sander with blue zirconia belts. the table (tool rest)
is set at 35 degrees or whatever I'm using and it's a snap. Wouldn't go
back to a grinder.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA