Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tool Sharpening

Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article m, Neillarson wrote:
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

Yep (Tormek). Couldn't be happier.

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more

Need to dress the Tormek only rarely.

and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like.

Not an issue at all on the Tormek, IME.

I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

It's tedious and slow the first time you grind it. After that, touching it up
takes only a few minutes -- which IME is one of the biggest benefits of the
Tormek: it's so quick and easy to touch up an edge that's no longer totally
sharp, that I find myself doing it more often, and hence I'm using sharper
tools more of the time.

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Tormek!

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Neillarson" wrote in message
s.com...
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Gotta love the conventional "wisdom" that's mindlessly repeated as if it
were true. If the wheel is soft(er) -white- and the steel is
hard(er) -HSS- you'll wear the wheel fast(er). Simple enough. Harder bond
would hold shape better. Wouldn't sharpen any worse, either.

Use the wheel size that pleases you. I can't imagine how the wood could
know that the depth of air over it was .002 or .003, nor what earthly
difference it would make in the cut, so the convention which passes for
wisdom seems OTL there, as well.

Just because "they" say something doesn't mean you can't think about it and
maybe even disagree....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Neillarson wrote:
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

I use a 1 inch belt sander with blue zirconia belts. the table (tool
rest) is set at 35 degrees or whatever I'm using and it's a snap.
Wouldn't go back to a grinder.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The penalty for bigamy is having two
mothers-in-law.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I belong to a woodworking club and we have had lathe classes in the past
along with sharping. Some guys take great pains and time in sharping their
tools. I learned from a excellent woodturner that the 1" belt is the fastest
sharping tool. This guy sharpens his tool in under 10 seconds. I mean it is
sharp, he made me a real believer even though I have and use the Wolverine
system which I think does a very good job. For fastness you can't beat the
belt sander.

Tim
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
Neillarson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a tormek - I use it when I need a really really really sharp edge,
but that is almost never - I use a slow speed grinder with a friable wheel
and generally just hand sharpen - after 30 or 40 passes, the tip gets uneven
on the larger tools, and then I revert to Jerry Glaser's jig to get it right
again. The perfect grind is nice, but totally superfluous once you have
turned for a while, I think
"Neillarson" wrote in message
s.com...
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I rather spend my time turning, rather than spend my time sharpening,
10" regular speed grinder (1725rpm) with normal grey wheels, works
very well indeed.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Sep 4, 11:20 am, Neillarson wrote:
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article m,
Neillarson wrote:

Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like. I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Use what you have. I have the same system, plus two conventional ones. I
use the slow speed to do the touch up and redress as needed. The only
time I use the others is to change grinds, or if something ugly happens

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Neil, This seems to be as much about which makes the prettiest bevel
as about the longest lasting edge; a wet Tormek, a dry grindstone, an
abrasive belt, a barber's strop or a brick bat? I don't think there's
ever been a consensus and I've forgotten if it was ever decided if it
matters. If there's no one best way, then they all work or don't work
for somebody.

I'm with Ralph, use what you've got unless of course, you want a reason
for buying another accessory.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use a wet wheel. Not the tormek, but the cheap knockoff from
Grizzly. the only downside to that one is its cheapness. Had to dress
the wheel to make it round, and the bearings may be giving out (after
several years) So it was a good purchase. If the Tormek lasts for
30-40 years, it may be cheaper to buy the expensive one, but I doubt
it. The edge is great, and I love it, but if it needs serious
grinding, start with a real grinder.

I find it is most useful for the small bits that go in multi tip tools
and ring & hook tools where you can't afford to grind away a lot of
metal. For regular scrapers and gouges, I don't use it as much for
them, but use a faster dry wheel.